If you face Tempe DUI or criminal charges, a free consultation with a Tempe criminal defense lawyer or Tempe DUI attorney is a must. You should never “plead guilty” or go to court unrepresented, without at least speaking with a private practice criminal defense lawyer about your matter. There may be defenses that they can use to help you get your charges dismissed or harsh sentences reduced.
You should know what to expect out of the free consultation. Here are 7 facts and tips to help you get the most out of it:
- Consult a Tempe Arizona criminal defense lawyer, who defends charges frequently in Tempe Courts. They will be familiar with court protocol and procedures, the judges, and prosecution. These aspects all work in favor of your defense if you retain them.
- It is up to the attorney whether they wish to provide the consultation by phone or in person. Your consultation can be just as effective by phone as in it would be in person. It will save you the inconvenience of driving, especially if your driver’s license was suspended or revoked due to DUI charges.
- Make sure will be speaking with an experienced criminal defense lawyer, and not a customer service or sales agent for the firm.
- The attorney will need some preliminary information, for the consultation. Answer directly and to the point as possible. Most of the information needed can be found on the Citation given to your following the arrest. The attorney may also ask for date of arrest; court date; name of court you are required to appear; nature or classification of the charges; your name, date of birth or age, and criminal record if you have past criminal convictions.
- Use the consultation as a means to find out more about the attorney. Things you may want to ask about include their DUI, Criminal defense and trial experience; licensure and credentials; and attorney fees. If you are not in a position to make the entire payment up front, ask if they are willing to arrange for a payment schedule.
- Find out who is actually handling your case at the Law Firm and who will be representing you in court. Find out who you can call if you have questions or concerns you have during the stages of your case.
- Ask them what is needed to retain their services. You can expect them to then schedule a meeting with you, to sign what is called a “fee agreement”; collect payment up front or a down payment for whatever has been agreed upon. The fee agreement gives the attorney legal authority to begin working on your case. They can then file the appropriate documents with the court, including formal notice that they are representing you, a plea of “not guilty” and notice of defenses on your behalf.
Tempe Criminal Defense Lawyer Tempe AZ
Choosing a criminal defense attorney is a very important decision. It is the opportunity you to find the best attorney and one that is right for you. It may take a little more time on your part, but it will be time well spent to preserve your future and freedom, if you face DUI or criminal charges in Tempe Arizona. A strong, and effective defense, can mean the difference between getting a harsh conviction and getting a favorable outcome in your case.
If you “Like” this article please let us know! Feel Free to subscribe and “Share”!
Law Office of James Novak
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282