Tempe Police are warning students returning to ASU to be cognizant of drunk drivers; thefts; and assaults. DUI, drug charges, and thefts, pose the largest threat to victims, and the most criminal arrests to those who are new to the school or unfamiliar with their surroundings and Arizona Laws. Here are a few safety tips that police and criminal defense attorneys want students or those new to the valley to know:
- DUI safety checkpoints will be planned for Tempe AZ;
- Driving while “impaired to the slightest degree” due to alcohol or drugs will result in arrest;
- Underage 21 drinking is illegal in Arizona and will result in arrest;
- DUI while driving on a suspended, revoked, or invalid driver’s license will result in felony DUI charges;
- If you refuse a DUI breath test; an immediate warrant will be issued for DUI blood or chemical testing. Whether you are under the influence or not, the refusal of the breath test will result in 1 year loss of driver’s license.
- Underage DUI will result in multiple charges, arrest, and suspension of driver’s license;
- Speed limits in School Zones will be enforced. Violations will result in hefty fines;
- Never leave your laptop or I-pad on a table or other public location on or off campus unattended;
- If you will be driving a vehicle make sure your driver’s license, registration, plates and auto insurance are valid and current;
- Assaults occur often. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Avoid walking alone at night;
- Synthetic or simulated drugs such as “bath salts” or “spice” are illegal, and may also result in violent behavior, serious illness or even fatalities; Avoid peer pressure to experiment with these dangerous drugs;
- So not rely on anyone else to keep you safe. Take control of your own safety and conduct;
Consequences of DUI and Criminal Defense Tempe AZ
If you or anyone you know is arrested or charged with a crime, it is important that you contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer to discuss your matter and defense options. DUI laws and penalties in Arizona are some of the toughest in the country. Alcohol and drug DUI charges will result in arrest; suspension or denial of driver’s license; use of ignition interlock devices after reinstatement of driving privileges; probation; community services; fines; fees; assessments; alcohol or drug counseling. You will need to retain the services of a Tempe DUI lawyer to increase your chances of avoiding a conviction and other harsh penalties.