“In even the most serious drug charges, a good criminal attorney may be able to find viable defenses that can lead to a dismissal of charges or other favorable outcome in your case.”
Mesa Drug Charges
A large number of drug crimes in Mesa AZ are charged as felonies. Depending on the nature of the charges, you could be exposed to harsh penalties. If a large quantity (exceeding statutory Threshold Amounts) of an illegal drug or substance is found in your possession, you may face mandatory prison sentencing. Defendants accused of possessing large quantities of illegal drugs usually faced with charges of “possession with intent to sell” or “selling illegal drugs”. In either case, your freedom and future are at stake. You should consult an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss your matter, and options for defense. If retained, a good criminal defense lawyer will be able to evaluate your case and find viable defense that can be used to challenge your charges.
Drug Possession Defenses
Even in the case of the most serious drug charges, defenses can exist. An experienced Mesa drug lawyer will examine the evidence, and facts surrounding your case. Every case holds its own set of circumstances. Your defenses will be found and tailored based on your unique situation. A defense found effective one case, may not be in another and vise versa.
Here are some examples of areas that may be challenged and defenses that may be argued by your criminal defense attorney:
- Insufficient evidence or lack thereof;
- Police procedure or protocol violated during investigation;
- Unlawful search and seizure;
- No “probable cause for arrest”;
- Mishandling of evidence by investigators or police;
- Quantity of drugs were below the statutory “Threshold Amount”;
- Wrong person charged or arrested;
- The drugs belonged to another person;
- You had no knowledge that the drugs were in your possession;
- You lived at a residence where common living areas were shared;
- You qualify for a drug diversion program (Arizona TASC) and deferred sentencing
- “Speedy Trial Rights” violations;
- Prosecution and State brought charges after the statutory time limits for those charges;
- Other constitutional rights violations
Mesa Criminal Lawyer for Drug Possession Defense
If you face drug charges of any kind in Maricopa County AZ or if a loved one has been arrested for a drug-related offense, you should contact a private practice Mesa criminal lawyer to discuss your specific situation and defense options. If retained, they will build a defense case on your behalf; protect your rights; guide you through each stage of the criminal case; be your legal advocate; and make every effort to get you the best outcome in your case.
If you “Like” this article please let us know! Feel Free to subscribe and “Share”!
Law Office of James Novak
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282